Green Apps/Apps for a zero waste lifestyle
Food Waste Prevention Apps: Over ⅓ of all food produced globally goes to waste
Apps for a zero waste lifestyle | Since most of us have a smartphone in our pockets it only makes sense to use technology to help reduce food waste with these green apps. I did notice though that according to your location some might work really well and others won’t work at all. Since I am currently in the French part of Canada, I have noticed that a lot of them don’t work. These green apps are mostly location dependent.
So to give you a more bias opinion I went ahead and read the reviews from customers and added them up. Using them and put it all together for you, so you can make an easy decision whether or not you want to download the app. However, these green apps are all free to download so no harm done here. Enjoy
It’s a way to connect with the people in your area to share the surplus of food and also non-food items. Business and private people can simply add items by snapping a picture to the app and make surrounding neighbors aware of the surplus.
It started as a pilot scheme in North London and is now worldwide available. I did notice that there is not much going on in Quebec City. If you want to become an ambassador and help spread the word you can apply here.
- Get free food for yourself or your family
- Declutter your home and cupboards
- Make a positive contribution to your local community
- Meet and make friends with your neighbors
- Prevent food waste and/or hunger
The Olio Team has the goal to reach 1 billion Olioers in 10 years
What people are saying: love this concept so much and got to share some good food with the community! However, the user experience can be janky and buggy.
Rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars
Want to eat seafood but you are not sure whether it is sustainable or not? This app will let you know. Find restaurants near you that serve ocean-friendly seafood.
- Get up to date seafood recommendations, how it has been fished.
- Installs to your device’s SD card
- Get free, up-to-date seafood recommendations
- Search for seafood quickly and easily by common market name
- Search for sushi by Japanese name as well as common market name
- Locate restaurants and stores that serve ocean-friendly seafood
- Access in-depth conservation notes
What people are saying: Nice idea but needs more support.
awesome! information on the go, a must for any seafood eater.
Rating: 4.1 out of 5 stars
If you want to know if your food is sustainable, wholesome and honest than you should get this app.
Defining sustainability with data.
HowGood helps you find foods you can feel good about with simple ratings backed by extensive research. Search or scan product barcodes to quickly access the HowGood database of over 200,000 food product ratings.
- 350 + PARTNERS
- find which items are environmentally friendly
- minimally processed
- ethically produced
What people are saying: I really like the idea of this app, and I have learned about some new ethical brands, but the search engine (namely the refinement filters) needs a ton of work!
3.8 out of 5 stars
The average family wastes %25 of food per year, that’s $1400. This app is designed to let you know when your food expires. Quickly find recipes on the food that you already have in your fridge. Create a shopping list of the food that you finished using.
- Stop wasting food
- Share your food
- sync between devices
- organize your food
- quickly find recipes
- scan barcode
Itunes rating 4.1 out of 5 stars
5. Best Before Food Tracker
- Add products, consume them or throw them away
- Easy to add products with auto-completion.
- Add images to products by taking a picture or choosing an image from your gallery.
- The app remembers products that you’ve previously entered.
- A lot of product suggestions.
- Product management by category and storage location
- Customization of categories, locations, units.
- Notifications to remind you to eat products before the expiry date or after opening.
What people are saying: I wanted to organize my pantry and to have a reminder of the soon-expiring stuff. So its really useful and I love that I can see my foods in categories.
I felt a little overwhelmed with this app since you can’t add your products with a barcode scanner and typing everything in manually seems to take too much time. I will see how it goes after a week and keep you posted.
What people are saying: 4.1 out of 5
best food tracking app so far.
7. Share Waste
The app is designed to connect you with the people in your neighborhood that wish to recycle their kitchen scraps. Now you can divert waste from landfill while getting to know the people around you!
- be a host
- sign up if you have chickens or a worm farm and want more food scraps
- geotag so the donor can easily find you and connect with you
- be a donor
What people are saying: Not enough people are using it!
Rating: 3.2 out of 5